Mar 28, 2022
Samantha Tripp returns to the show to discuss part 2 of The
Battle of Yavin (A New Hope minutes 111-115).
- 00:00 - Hello there!
- 10:54 - A poignant fanfare.
- 18:43 - Star Wars metal music.
- 21:10 - Mic'ing and editing orchestras.
- 31:39 - Concert rituals.
- 37:08 - Pet peeve with lightsaber bows.
- 45:38 - Awkward flute writing.
- 52:53 - John Williams's history as a piano player and
- 1:01:21 - How John Williams plays with building tension during
the trench run. Overarching ascending trajectory.
- 1:06:53 - Brighter orchestral tone in the original
- 1:08:58 - SWMM Questionnaire
- - Goodbyes
Soundtrack: "The Battle Of Yavin (Launch From
The Fourth Moon/X-Wings Draw Fire/Use The Force")
MUSIC MINUTE QUESTIONNAIRE (this is Samantha's
second time answering it):
1. In exactly 3 words, what does Star Wars sound like?
- Powerful, evocative, grandiose
2. What's something related to Star Wars music or sound that you
want to learn more about?
- Solo season answer: Musician stories from recording the sequel
films, particularly The Rise of Skywalker. What is it like sitting
in the orchestra, hearing those themes, and trying to make
connections in the film ahead of time?
- New answer: What was it like for the musicians recording the
original trilogy, particularly the first film? Did they realize
that they were playing something so iconic? Did they realize the
impact that the music would have as they were playing it?
3. What's a score or soundtrack you're fond of besides anything
- Solo season answer: The Shape of Water (composed by
- New answer: Spider-Man: No Way Home (composed by Michael
- YouTube channel:
- Check out Samantha's other episode on SWMM: Solo 3: Imperial
March Diegesis - https://youtu.be/Kj9EAuzCY68
- Samantha will be teaching a course on Star Wars music through
the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Tufts University
If you enjoyed this episode and want to show extra appreciation,
feel free to buy me a coffee and shout out the guest! https://buymeacoffee.com/starwarsmusmin
If you want to support the show, consider becoming a patron!
Leave a voice message, and I might play it on the show...
Where else to find SWMM: