Jul 9, 2021
You won't find it on the commercial soundtrack, but the music
leading up to Holdo's sacrifice represents the culmination of
profound thematic transformation rarely heard in all of Star
- How the Desperation motif spawned from the Tension motif (after
- Desperation motif is heard in its final form as the three
subplots come to a head and finishes right as Holdo rams into the
- Frank Lehman's "Thematic Transformation and the Limits of
- Basic vs. advanced ways that leitmotifs tend to undergo
transformation in Star Wars
- The shelf-stable analogy of preserving precious leitmotifs for
future use... and how that isn't the case here
- Teleological genesis: when a theme develops from a motivic
fragment and culminates in a final instance, never to reoccur.
- Speculation, philosophical questions, and who cares about
thematic transformation anyway?
- Also in these minutes: silence!
Where we are in the soundtrack: "Holdo's
Resolve" -- it's not on the commercial soundtrack. https://youtu.be/3rIBFn3oU7c
Sources and References:
Connect with Star Wars Music Minute:
Want more? Check out Chrysanthe's Patreon for
weekly practice/composing/music analysis livestreams.