Jul 29, 2022
Alex Ludwig AKA the Dies Irae Guru AKA @Film
Music Tropes is back to discuss minutes 111-115 of Solo:
A Star Wars Story! Spoiler: Alex and Xanthe noticed one Dies Irae
reference each in these minutes, but they were completely different
spots... In this episode, we also discuss "Jason Bourne in Space,"
fawn over the Secrets motif progression, and give John Powell a
retrospective A on his voice leading homework. 😛
- 00:00 - Hello there!
- 02:28 - Alex's (Dies Irae-related) issues with this film
- 07:09 - What about Jyn's theme in Rogue One?
- 08:45 - Powell's clever use of the Secrets motif.
- 11:25 - Clarification about Dies Irae and DSCH.
- 15:16 - Powell doing a lot of work in the score to underline
the scenic transitions.
- 17:47 - Paul Bettany as Dryden Vos, Michael K. Williams.
- 22:29 - Col legno and battuto
- 29:05 - Do you remember this Fakery motif from anywhere?
- 34:22 - Flying vs fighting music in this score.
- 39:20 - A good assignment for burgeoning film composers.
- 41:15 - Breaking down this smooth Secrets progression (we LOVE
- 45:39 - Effective voice leading.
- 47:06 - Xanthe's Dies Irae.
- 49:25 - Alex's Dies Irae is a "tension engine" (Dies Irae Type
3B = ostinato with inversions and reversals)
- 54:35 - Are these cue names puns? Is John Powell channeling
- 57:46 - Sound/music mixing choices.
- 1:04:19 - Jason Bourne in Space, different flavors of action
- 1:15:37 - Running a few Solo "Dies Iraes" by Alex.
- 1:21:24 - Musical stats from these minutes
- 1:22:20 - SWMM Questionnaire
Things to Check Out:
- 9. Fakery
- 3. Secrets
- 13) Dies Irae
- 7b. Enfys Nest 2
- 5. The Gang
Where are we in the soundtrack(s)?:
- "Double-Double Cross (6M39-40)"
- "The Good Guy"
- "Dryden's Long, Long Fight (6M41-42)" until 2:10 of the
STAR WARS MUSIC MINUTE QUESTIONNAIRE:
1. In exactly 3 words, what does Star Wars sound like?
- Previous answers: Triumphant brass fanfares. Ominous
- New answer: Soaring searching strings.
2. What's something related to Star Wars music or sound that you
want to learn more about?
- Previous answer: What it's like for new composers (Michael
Giacchino, John Powell, Ludwig Göransson, etc) to play in the
playground of Star Wars music -- to have all these themes at their
fingertips, get to use them and take them to new places. "What is
it like to get the keys to this kingdom as a composer?"
- New answer: Who's gonna write the next paradigm-shifting Star
3. What's a score or soundtrack you're fond of besides anything
- Previous answer: The Social Network (composed by Trent Reznor
and Atticus Ross) and Sunset Boulevard (composed by Franz
- New answer: The Matrix trilogy (composed by Don Davis)
Guest: Alex Ludwig
If you want to support the show and join the Discord server,
consider becoming a patron! https://patreon.com/chrysanthetan
Leave a voice message, and I might play it on the show...
Where else to find SWMM: