Jul 15, 2022
The "Secrets" theme can be easy to miss, but not in minutes
101-105 of Solo: A Star Wars Story! The veil of secrecy is lifted
as the "Secrets" motif cycles through a progression of revelatory
chords leading to Crimson Dawn. This is one of Xanthe's favorite
musical moments in the film. Alex Cunningham returns to the show to
nerd out about it!
- 00:00 - Hello there!
- 03:14 - Visual preview of these minutes.
- 11:33 - What makes the buildup to the Crimson Dawn reveal so
- 14:56 - Same pitch collection as Enfys Nest theme.
- 17:29 - Is the instrumentation gendered?
- 20:57 - How the harmony contributes to the buildup and reveal
(plus some sweet, sweet Major 7th action).
- 30:12 - Timbral interaction between bass singers and bass
- 32:06 - Addressing the whole Augie's Municipal Band and
Emperor's Theme thingy.
- 36:26 - Does Frank Lehman have a list of how many variants of a
theme are present in each movie?
- 45:32 - The chords matter in the "Secrets" theme. Otherwise,
it's just 3 notes that arguably sound like Jurassic Park.
- 51:09 - Brief "March of the Resistance" cameo.
- 54:45 - Enfys Nest's accent, British accents in Star Wars for
women, especially women of color.
- 1:02:01 - Alden Ehrenreich's performance.
- 1:07:02 - "Secrets" theme 7x: Cycling through the chord
progression. (C Major, A half diminished 7, E minor, C minor, A7,
Eb Major, C Major)
- 1:17:00 - Kurosawa-esque sound design on Savareen.
- 1:27:03 - Qi'ra's intuition about Han + the classic moviemaking
- 1:30:24 - Different interpretations of the harp during
- 1:33:56 - A critique about the Millennium Falcon takeoff
- 1:43:05 - SWMM Questionnaire
Things to Check Out:
- 2. Rebel Fanfare
- 7a. Enfys Nest 1
- 48a. March of the Resistance (A Section)
- 3. Secrets
- 1. Young Han Solo (Heroic, comp. JW)
- 5. The Gang
Where are we in the soundtrack(s)?:
- "Savareen Stand-Off" & "Enfys' Stand-Off (6M35)"
- "Qi'Ra Knows a Bit More Than Han (6M36-37-38)"
STAR WARS MUSIC MINUTE QUESTIONNAIRE:
1. In exactly 3 words, what does Star Wars sound like?
- Previous answer: John. Ben. James.
- New answer: John. Ben. James.
2. What's something related to Star Wars music or sound that you
want to learn more about?
- Previous answer: What other sound designers does Ben Burtt
- New answer: Who is on the foley team, and how do they think and
talk about foley? Do they see themselves as sound designers, how do
they approach their creative work?
3. What's a score or soundtrack you're fond of besides anything
- Previous answer: Akira (composed by Geinoh Yamashirogumi), The
Harder They Come (primarily featuring Jimmy Cliff)
- New answer: Station Eleven (composed by Dan Romer)
Guest: Alex Cunningham
If you want to support the show and join the Discord server,
consider becoming a patron! https://patreon.com/chrysanthetan
Leave a voice message, and I might play it on the show...
Where else to find SWMM: