Jun 10, 2022
L3 starts a revolution, Han moves coaxium containers, and the
(perky, contrapuntal) music is the Force that binds us all
together. Also worth considering: Is L3 a big ol' boom box? Newly
minted Star Wars writer Riley Silverman is back on the show to
discuss Solo Minutes 76-80 of Solo!
- 00:00 - Hello there!
- 04:45 - Riley's theory of droids in Star Wars
- 11:06 - Didactic & diegetic
- 14:35 - "Mine Mission" counterpoint
- 29:33 - Oasis of friendship, then back to the mission
- 36:36 - How music scales with size and scope.
- 45:50 - Tense action cue while Han moves the canisters.
- 48:11 - Coaxium music - dangerous, delicate, destiny?
- 56:21 - Solo interconnectivity, Solo criticism, Kathleen
Kennedy, misguided Alden Ehrenreich blame.
- 1:03:58 - I love old characters.
- 1:14:42 - Screw the mine mission! My buddy's back!
- 1:19:47 - L3 is focused on her revolutionary ideals, but her
revolution begins as an afterthought.
- 1:22:37 - Listener question: Do droids listen to music?
- 1:27:25 - Are droids capable of music composition? Playing
instruments? Tangent about AI, art, and creativity.
- 1:39:52 - SWMM Questionnaire
- 8. L3-37
- 1. Young Han Solo (Heroic, comp. JW)
- 5. The Gang
- 6. Han & Chewie
- Complete Catalogue of the Musical Themes of Star Wars (by Frank
Where are we in the soundtrack(s)?:
- "Mine Mission"
- "Break Out"
- "Extra Deluxe Mine Mission (4M30B-5M30C-31)"
STAR WARS MUSIC MINUTE QUESTIONNAIRE:
1. In exactly 3 words, what does Star Wars sound like?
- New answer: Epic space magic.
- Previous answer: Epic space magic.
2. What's something related to Star Wars music or sound that you
want to learn more about?
- New answer: How many different screams are there? (like the
- Previous answer: How do people go about designing music for a
scene or character in the first place? Writers start with a blank
page and somehow use words to convey scenes; what is the
musical/sound version of that process like?
3. What's a score or soundtrack you're fond of besides anything
- New answer: Gentlemen Jack (composed by Murray Gold), Doctor
Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (composed by Danny
- Previous answer: Doctor Who, which has gone through dozens of
composers over the decades. The original theme was composed by Ron
Grainer and realized by Delia Derbyshire. Murray Gold was the
composer from 2005 to 2017.
Guest: Riley Silverman
If you enjoyed this episode and want to show extra appreciation,
feel free to buy me a coffee and shout out the guest! https://buymeacoffee.com/starwarsmusmin
If you want to support the show, consider becoming a patron!
Leave a voice message, and I might play it on the show...
Where else to find SWMM: