May 6, 2022
Triad of the Force (Gus, Nani, Moe) join Xanthe in a discussion
about the music and sound in minutes 51-55 of Solo: A Star Wars
Story, which starts with Han convincing Dryden to give them a
chance and ends with Han challenging Lando to a game of sabacc. We
talk about musical pivot points, toxic professors, dialogue mixing,
peacocks, the cue that sounds like David Bowie, and more!
- 00:00 - Hello there!
- 11:46 - Toxic professors.
- 25:19 - Love themes in Star Wars.
- 30:51 - A slinky line with "Orientalist" flavors.
- 36:55 - Confusing spatial sound, disembodied conversation.
- 42:12 - James Bond reference?
- 44:01 - Donald Glover's voice and Billy Dee Williams.
- 55:13 - Han Solo, last minute hero.
- 59:28 - Thrawn namedrop.
- 1:03:22 - Lando, king of the scene.
- 1:12:00 - National Geographic peacocks.
- 1:18:13 - Discussing the "Sabacc Game (3M25)" cue. Is it
diegetic? Where would the sounds be coming from? Why does it sound
like David Bowie's "Under Pressure"?
- 1:36:43 - Final thoughts about these Solo minutes.
- 1:41:43 - SWMM Questionnaire
- 1:50:28 - Where to find Triad of the Force (they'll be on the
podcast stage at Star Wars Celebration 2022!)
Things to Check Out:
- 3. Secrets
- 5. The Gang
- 1. Young Han Solo (Heroic, comp. JW)
Where are we in the soundtrack?
- "Dryden's Patience Is Tested (3M21-22-23)" starting around
- "Card Room (3M24)"
- "Is This Seat Taken?"
- beginning of "Sabacc Game (3M25)"
STAR WARS MUSIC MINUTE QUESTIONNAIRE:
1. In exactly 3 words, what does Star Wars sound like?
- Nani: James Earl Jones (same answer as ANH season)
- Moe: Analog but magical (same answer as ANH season)
- Gus: Beepbeep! Kshh-Paaa. Grrrrrwwwwwrr! (same answer as ANH
2. What's something related to Star Wars music or sound that you
want to learn more about?
- Nani: The thought process, methods, and approaches to scoring
new Star Wars media in the post-John Williams era. (same answer as
- Moe: How the beeps and boops were made. (ANH season: Max Rebo's
- Gus: The director-composer relationship and how they create a
symbiont circle. (ANH season answer: How all the sounds, especially
from the original trilogy, were created.)
3. What's a score or soundtrack you're fond of besides anything
- Nani: Atonement (composed Dario Marianelli) and Batman (1989,
composed by Danny Elfman)
- Moe: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (composed by Yugo Kanno)
- Gus: Interstellar (composed by Hans Zimmer). ANH season
answers: Hook (composed by John Williams) and Fellowship of the
Rings (composed by Howard Shore)
Guest: Triad of the Force
If you enjoyed this episode and want to show extra appreciation,
feel free to buy me a coffee and shout out the guest! https://buymeacoffee.com/starwarsmusmin
If you want to support the show, consider becoming a patron!
Leave a voice message, and I might play it on the show...
Where else to find SWMM: