Nov 8, 2021
There's no music for our first 90 seconds on Tatooine, forcing
us to reckon with the cicadas, barren landscape, and Threepio's
frozen joints. This is a deep dive into the music and sound of Star
Wars: A New Hope, Minutes 11-15.
Let's see if timestamps work this time (if not,
- (0:00:00) - Hello there.
- (0:03:49) - Fonts and motifs
- (0:09:03) - Ben Burtt on creating R2-D2's voice
- (0:11:48) - "Worldizing," a sound design concept by Walter
- (0:15:41) - Cicadas
- (0:23:00) - Silence on Tatooine and what that evokes
- (0:33:20) - Stravinsky Rite of Spring comparison
- (0:48:00) - Sound design of Artoo in the canyon
- (0:55:16) - Jawaese
- (1:15:19) - Cat bomb
- (1:21:20) - Tuba forum tidbits
- (1:22:09) - Tour of the sandcrawler droids.
- (1:24:45) - GNK droid's music debut.
- (1:27:22) - PSA: Gonk droids say more than just
- (1:33:00) - Hidden writing
- (1:39:18) - Star Wars Music Minute questionnaire
- 7. Jawas
- 7) Sandcrawler
- 8) Scum and Villainy
Where we are in the soundtrack album:
- Dune Sea of Tatooine/Jawa Sandcrawler
Anything Else Mentioned:
STAR WARS MUSIC MINUTE QUESTIONNAIRE:
1. In exactly 3 words, what does Star Wars sound
- California radio voiceovers
2. What's something related to Star Wars music or sound
that you want to learn more about?
- Ender would like to see the making of one musical cue from
start to finish (similar to the documentary Star Wars Within A
Minute: The Making Of Episode III Documentary). This might
include things like John Williams looking at a scene, writing
sketches, passing it on to copyists, all the way to editors and
sound team working on the final mix.
3. What's a score or soundtrack you're fond of besides
anything Star Wars?
- Knives Out (composed by Nathan Johnson)
Star Wars Music Minute:
- "Cantina Band" theme music written by John Williams, performed
by Chrysanthe Tan
- Frank Lehman created and maintains the Complete Catalogue
of the Musical Themes of Star Wars, a resource that we
frequently reference on this show. Available as a PDF on his
- Thank you to Star Wars
Minute podcast for inspiring this show.