Apr 4, 2022
Justin Scheid and James Waterman join Xanthe (Band Batch
reunion!) in a discussion about A NEW HOPE minutes 116-120, during
which Luke Skywalker blows up the Death Star, the Rebels have an
awkwardly formal medal ceremony, and Artoo recovers from being
- 00:00 - Hello there!
- 07:19 - Listening to the start of these minutes.
- 09:52 - Four drum timpani part.
- 13:24 - Crash course in crash cymbals.
- 24:00 - Minor Main Theme.
- 29:45 - Analysis of the musical shift during the "Use the
force, Luke" part.
- 38:02 - What is this bassline?
- 46:30 - Heroic descending tetrachords + us trying to figure out
- 51:00 - Main Theme variations and the (Not) Death of
- 1:02:20 - Hard mallets vs. soft mallets on timpani.
- 1:05:25 - The visual interface of the war room screen.
- 1:10:25 - Main Theme where "all the harmonies are wrong"
- 1:17:10 - Death Star go boom! End of the Disney ride. Happy
- 1:19:03 - Difference between glockenspiel, xylophone,
- 1:29:27 - Feeling stressed about Artoo getting zapped in the
Battle of Yavin.
- 1:35:25 - The Throne Room AKA Star Wars Pomp and
- 1:43:09 - Why is the medal ceremony so formal?
- 1:51:15 - Is the music during the medal ceremony diegetic? A
- 2:00:09 - B section of the Main Theme that barely gets any
- 2:05:40 - SWMM Questionnaire
- 18) Descending Heroic Tetrachords
- 17) Heroic Determination
- 3) Martial Chords
- 3. Force
- 1b. Main Theme (B Section)
- 9. Throne Room
- Note: I use the theme names and numbers established in Frank
Lehman's Complete Catalogue of the Musical Themes of Star Wars. You
can download it free at his website: https://franklehman.com/starwars/.
Where are we in the soundtrack?
- "The Battle Of Yavin (Launch From The Fourth Moon/X-Wings Draw
Fire/Use The Force")
- "The Throne Room/End Title"
STAR WARS MUSIC MINUTE QUESTIONNAIRE:
1. In exactly 3 words, what does Star Wars sound like?
- Justin: pew pew pew
- James: The Band Batch
2. What's something related to Star Wars music or sound that you
want to learn more about?
- James: The idea that John Williams composes with pencil and
paper. What is his writing process like? James wants to know all
the little factoids.
- Justin: How all the sound effects were made. Justin would love
to be a fly on the wall while the sound designers and foley artists
are doing their thing.
3. What's a score or soundtrack you're fond of besides anything
- Justin: The village (composed by James Newton Howard)
- James: Hereditary (composed by Colin Stetson)
THE BAND BATCH = Xanthe, James, and Justin.
Join us for music commentary livestreams on YouTube whenever new
Star Wars shows come out!
If you enjoyed this episode and want to show extra appreciation,
feel free to buy me a coffee and shout out the guests! https://buymeacoffee.com/starwarsmusmin
If you want to support the show, consider becoming a patron!
Leave a voice message, and I might play it on the show...
Where else to find SWMM: