Jan 10, 2022
This chunk of A NEW HOPE begins with the Millennium Falcon
blasting off at lightspeed and ends with Obi-Wan sensing the
destruction of Alderaan.
- 00:00 - Hello there!
- 01:30 - Peter Cushing in Star Wars is like Michael Caine in The
Muppet Christmas Carol. Malicious trills
- 05:09 - Garindan's voice is John Wayne sped up
- 07:45 - Bumbling stormtrooper music
- 09:32 - Peter and the Wolf-ness?
- 13:25 - "Baby's first mono-myth"
- 15:00 - Imperial Troops Ostinato (incidental motif) and
- 18:44 - Docking Bay 94 escape music is loud, chaotic elements
competing, Force theme ratcheting up
- 20:08 - Force theme maneuvering on the fly
- 22:58 - Alternate Binary Sunset thoughts
- 29:37 - Inside the Millennium Falcon
- 31:58 - "Our passengers must be hotter than I thought." Han,
- 33:07 - Imperial Cruiser Pursuit (incidental motif described by
Frank Lehman as "nervous minor horn chords succeeded by chromatic
figure in strings"
- 33:52 - Were you obsessed with lightspeed?
- 38:35 - Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions (if you know,
- 38:47 - Brass sextuplets, instruments that are hard to
- 45:28 - Han says "Go strap yourselves in" and it sounds funny
in the mix?
- 46:09 - Death Star motif
- 49:03 - Bond chord (minor major 9th)
- 56:00 - Metaphor fail, not shadowboxing
- 58:02 - Leia's British accent
- 1:02:07 - One of the biggest mistakes of the prequels
- 1:03:35 - Dies Irae? Maybe? (Paging Alex Ludwig)
- 1:07:33 - Pronouncing "Dantooine"
- 1:09:07 - Rolling R's in "Rebel friends"
- 1:12:37 - Death Star power up sound
- 1:13:24 - Disturbance in the Force
- 1:15:54 - No music with lightsabers...except?
- 1:22:21 - "Forget your troubles with those Imperials
- 1:23:37 - Dejarik
- 1:27:05 - Asking Ralph to clarify something he said on Star
Wars Minute podcast
- 1:33:33 - SWMM Questionnaire
- 1:40:11 - Dunning Kruger
- 1:45:41 - Ukulele Force
- 5) Imperial Troops Ostinato
- 6a. Imperials (Motif)
- 14) Imperial Cruiser Pursuit
- 3. Force
- 13) Dies Irae - possible
- 5. Death Star
- Note: I use the theme names and numbers established in Frank
Lehman's Complete Catalogue of the Musical Themes of Star Wars. You
can download it free at his website: https://franklehman.com/starwars/.
Soundtrack: "The Millennium Falcon/Imperial
Cruiser Pursuit," "Destruction of Alderaan," "Mouse Robot/Blasting
MUSIC MINUTE QUESTIONNAIRE:
1. In exactly 3 words, what does Star Wars sound
- Sweeping expressive proclamations
2. What's something related to Star Wars music or sound
that you want to learn more about?
- Ralph wants to know what he doesn't know about the music, then
learn that which he doesn't know.
3. What's a score or soundtrack you're fond of besides
anything Star Wars?
- Beetlejuice (composed by Danny Elfman)
- The Addams Family (composed by Duke Ellington, Irving Mills,
Marc Shaiman and Saxie Dowell).
Star Wars Music Minute: