Jan 3, 2022
Forget about Han and Greedo for a second. The Special Edition
release of A New Hope also brought us Jabba the Hutt and his
virtuosic tuba theme (which originally debuted in Return of the
Jedi). Trombonist in the Disneyland Band Justin Mitnik joins me
today in a discussion about minutes 51-55 of Star Wars. We talk
about the cantina songs, villains, orchestration, and more.
- 00:00 - Hello there!
- 04:12 - Cantina Band 1 vs. Cantina Band 2
- 09:04 - Greedo's lines in Huttese
- 15:49 - "Mammaloo!"
- 19:35 - Death Star conference room scene
- 21:09 - Peter Cushing, Tarkin, onscreen villains
- 24:25 - Daddy Palpatine's frequent flyer miles
- 24:54 - Breaking down a meandering woodwind line
- 28:01 - Orchestration, using the range of the orchestra, why
does John Williams double the clarinet line, etc
- 39:27 - "Naive Luke" theme
- 43:15 - Big tuba spotlight for Jabba (added in Special
- 46:12 - "Crispa Greedo"
- 52:08 - "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being." Sarcasm?
- 57:39 - Significance of this set of minutes, everyone's
wrapping up remnants of their old life
- 1:02:29 - Mos Eisley Spaceport Cantina versus Oga's Cantina in
- 1:05:34 - Listening to the Disneyland Band's Star Wars
- 1:13:21 - SWMM Questionnaire
- 1:14:47 - Musical themes, soundtrack info, etc
Themes: Main Theme (A Section)
Soundtrack: "Cantina Band 2," "Inner City,"
"Millennium Falcon/Imperial Cruiser Pursuit"
MUSIC MINUTE QUESTIONNAIRE:
1. In exactly 3 words, what does Star Wars sound
- Galactic thematic masterpiece.
2. What's something related to Star Wars music or sound
that you want to learn more about?
- All the distinct sound effects. Justin has always been
fascinated by them and could never tell what comprises them.
3. What's a score or soundtrack you're fond of besides
anything Star Wars?
- Gladiator (composed by Hans Zimmer)
Star Wars Music Minute: