Mar 12, 2021
Today, we are covering the music and sound of minutes 26-30 of
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi! We get a final look of Luke,
Leia sits by the window while exiting hyperspace, Leia slaps and
demotes Poe, Admiral Ackbar calls a proximity alert, Snoke's ship
tracks the Raddus, Poe gets permission to blow stuff up, Kylo Ren
looks angry but conflicted, and the hangar blows up. Guest: Liz
Whitaker from Mean Girls Minute.
Theme-spotting: Force theme, Kylo Ren theme,
Leia theme, Resistance March, Tension.
Soundtrack: "4. The Supremacy"
- "Force Theme vs Binary Sunset vs Obi Wan"
- Liz's method of writing music to herself is "BUM bum bum bum
- Suspension chords and the effect they can have on a scene.
- Water bottle rattle symbolism.
- Xanthe feels some "Pavane for a Dead Princess" (Maurice Ravel)
- What hyperspace sounds like and how we would recreate
hyperspace at home.
- Rundown of sound design highlights.
- Futuristic beeps and blips. So underrated yet so
- How 90's pop divas unknowingly trained our ears to recognize
emphatic key changes.
- The sputtering and corkscrewing sounds of Kylo's ship.
- An interesting happens in Kylo's theme...
- Our lay breakdown of the explosion sound moment.
- How sound design sparks curiosity. Incongruity and unexpected
sound design choices subconsciously challenge our assumptions about
the physical space of a given world. (ex. The sound BB-8 makes when
- Two different interpretations of what Leia's Theme could
Consistency note: While leitmotif names are
completely up to interpretation, I'm using the names that Frank
Lehman uses in his Complete Catalogue of the Musical
Themes of Star Wars. I find this resource to be the most
careful, objective, well-organized, and up-to-date guide of its
Liz Whitaker is on Twitter @MeanGirlsMinute. Also
Star Wars Music Minute is on
and Chrysanthe is on Twitter @chrysanthetan and Instagram at @chrysanthetan. Chrysanthe's Patreon
If you have questions or suggestions,
email firstname.lastname@example.org or
submit anonymous questions/comments with this quick form.