Aug 13, 2021
Behind every legend is a person. In this episode of Star Wars
Music Minute, Darth Choco joins me in a heartfelt discussion of the
music, lore, and legacy surrounding Luke Skywalker's final act.
- 00:00:00 - Intro + In this set of minutes, Luke and Kylo face
off, Rey uses the Force to lift the heavy rocks obstructing their
path, and Luke says "See you around, kid."
- 00:01:44 - How the cinematography and music complement each
other during the face-off.
- 00:03:55 - Luke and Kylo's contrasting combat styles,
lightsaber sounds, and motivations
- 00:05:25 - How the Force theme escalates throughout Luke's "I
will not be the last Jedi" speech
- 00:10:00 - The wordless choir and ascending strings when Rey
lifts the rocks
- 00:12:50 - How Star Wars (including The Last Jedi) plays with
our scale perception
- 00:15:00 - Do or do not.
- 00:16:32 - Minor perfect authentic cadence (PAC)
- 00:23:02 - Villain mental health
- 00:26:47 - How Rey telegraphs Kylo Ren's lightsaber
- 00:29:35 - Kylo's super rage-y music followed by furious,
- 00:32:54 - Luke's built different
- 00:35:02 - "I thiiiink I'm eeeevil"
- 00:42:48 - Legacy vs. blood
- 00:46:23 - "I am a Jedi, like my father."
- 00:51:20 - What it means to be a Jedi and to divest from one's
- 00:56:40 - Luke dies, and the Force theme sends him off
- 00:57:47 - How Luke impacts the galaxy, Rey impacts Luke, and
Luke gives Rey permission to be human
🎵 THEMES: Force, Rey's Power (incidental motif), Kylo Ren
🎵 SOUNDTRACK: "The Last Jedi" and "Peace and Purpose"
Darth Choco's links:
Connect with Star Wars Music Minute:
Connect with Xanthe: