Jul 23, 2021
How many motifs can you spot during the Battle of the Crait?
Hint: there are more than 10! Star Wars Explained (Alex) is here
with me today to break down the music and action in Minutes 121-125
of The Last Jedi.
- Alex finally figures out the theme he's had stuck in his
- Finn's musical fake-out. Music as a manipulator, extra
- The scoring process for this film.
- What goes into making a balanced sound mix. The music +
dialogue + sound design can't compete for the same crowded
- How the Battle of Crait "rhymes" with the Battle of Hoth,
Empire Strikes Back, and the bomber run from the beginning of The
- Set-piece themes, like the Asteroid Field, and their role in
- Chat about the past, present, and future of the rebellion.
- Brief round of Star Wars music trivia (in which Alex wins)
Motifs (in order of appearance). I've included
the numbers/names in case you want to follow along in Frank
Lehman's Complete Catalogue of Star Wars Themes.
- 48a. March of the Resistance (A Section)
- 55a. Rose (A Section)
- 95) Resistance Deployed
- 41a. Kylo Ren 1 (Aggressive)
- 102) Whirling Octatonicism
- 52a. Tension (Generic)
- 2. Rebel Fanfare
- 45a. Rey 1 (Theme)
- 52b. Tension (Resistance in Trouble)
- 96) Catastrophe
- 8. TIE Fighter Attack
- maybe 42. Kylo Ren 2 (Hesitant)
Where we are in the soundtrack: "Battle of
Star Wars Explained:
Connect with Star Wars Music Minute: