Jun 25, 2021
DJ's a snake, Snoke is sliced, and stormtroopers march to the
beat of the spacecraft motif. Best of all, Pete the Retailer from
Star Wars Minute is here with me to discuss the sounds in minutes
101-105 of The Last Jedi.
- The stormtroopers' diegetic footsteps.
- Force theme vs. Resistance March vs. Droid Invasion/Trade
Federation theme from The Phantom Menace.
- What defines a theme? (it's not always the notes!)
- KYLO REN'S LIGHTSABER. It's so dirty and dangerous-sounding.
- Kylo's Force rumble is a cat purr pitched and slowed down by
The Force Awakens' supervising sound editor Dave Acord.
- The Force theme's multiple sections and when each of them tend
to be used.
- The way some parts of Star Wars scores become fused in our
memory with the dialogue.
- Set pieces vs. leitmotifs vs. incidental motifs
- Standout themes to keep an ear out for in The Last Jedi
- Pete has a question about Return of the Jedi...
Themes Referenced (in order of appearance):
- Resistance March (leitmotif)
- March Onboard Spacecraft (incidental)
- Snoke's Boudoir (incidental)
- Force (leitmotif)
Where we are in the soundtrack: "A New
Links for Things Mentioned:
Pete the Retailer Links:
Connect with Star Wars Music Minute:
Want more? Check out Chrysanthe's Patreon for
weekly practice/composing/music analysis livestreams.